Physical Science Education Author
Visionlearning (www.visionlearning.com), an online science education platform that provides free learning modules and assessment tools to teach the process of scientific discovery, is searching for a Physical Science Author with experience writing engaging, process-focused materials. Visionlearning creates and publishes free content for learning science. Our learning modules are peer-reviewed and targeted to early college learners. With funding from the National Science Foundation, the project is expanding and at least 13 new modules will be written and published in the physical sciences, with an emphasis on chemistry. Additional physics-focused modules, especially those supporting student understanding in chemistry and earth science, will also be developed. Targeted content will be designed to support instruction that is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) to better meet the needs of future teachers. The project is searching for an author to work with module editors in planning, writing, editing, and launching website content.
Duties and Responsibilities – the Physical Science Author will work with the Physical Science Editor to:
- Outline, write, and revise learning modules that support the NGSS and meet the needs of introductory college science courses and future K-12 teachers of science.
- Write quizzes based on the content of the module that allow students to assess their comprehension of the material.
- Work with editors and digital artists to develop data-rich graphics for modules.
- Ensure content meets quality expectations and project guidelines.
- Respond to the peer review process for all new content.
- Assist in uploading new material to the website.
- Participate in team meetings to formulate project and content goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree and demonstrated expertise in a Physical Science subject.
- Demonstrated experience writing engaging, process-focused, science content for classroom use.
- Familiarity with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- The ability to meet deadlines and work cohesively with editors.
- Knowledge of social/media production and communication
- The author will be employed as an independent contractor with compensation tied to module production. Compensation is $2,000 per module authored, edited and published. The author will also have the option to write quizzes for their modules for an additional $200 per quiz.
- Please send a single pdf document that includes a one-page cover letter outlining your writing experience and interest, a curriculum vitae/resume, a writing sample that demonstrates educational writing experience, and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This position will remain open until they are filled. Priority will be given to applications submitted before July 31, 2021.
- Applications that are not submitted in the requested format may not be considered.