Science Education Authors
Visionlearning (www.visionlearning.com), an online science education platform that provides free learning modules and assessment tools to teach the process of scientific discovery, is searching for Science Authors with expertise in one or more of the following areas: physical science, earth science, and life science. Visionlearning creates and publishes free content for learning science. Our learning modules are peer-reviewed and targeted to early college learners. With funding from the National Science Foundation, the project is expanding, and at least 13 new modules will be written and published in each of the areas of Earth Science, Life Science, and Physical Science. Targeted content will be designed to support instruction that is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) to better meet the needs of future teachers. The project is searching for three authors (one in each of the disciplines) to work with module editors in planning, writing, editing, and launching website content.
Duties and Responsibilities – each Author will work with the editor in their discipline to:
- Outline, write, and revise learning modules in their area of expertise which align with the NGSS and meet the needs of introductory college science courses.
- Write quizzes based on the content of the module that allow students to assess their comprehension of the material.
- Work with editors and digital artists to develop data-rich graphics for modules.
- Ensure content meets quality expectations and project guidelines.
- Respond to the peer review process for all new content.
- Assist in uploading new material to the website.
- Participate in team meetings to formulate project and content goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree and demonstrated expertise in a subject in their disciplinary field.
- Demonstrated experience writing engaging science content, especially for use in teaching.
- Familiarity with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- The ability to meet deadlines and work cohesively with editors.
- Knowledge of social/media production and communication
- Authors will be employed as independent contractors with compensation tied to module production, compensation is $2,000 per module authored, edited and published. Authors will also have the option to write quizzes for their modules for an additional $200 per quiz.
- Please send a single pdf document that includes a one-page cover letter outlining your writing experience and interest, a curriculum vitae/resume, a writing sample that demonstrates educational writing experience, and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- These positions will remain open until they are filled. Priority will be given to applications submitted before April 30, 2021.
- Applications that are not submitted in the requested format may not be considered.