A light-colored, coarse-grained igneous rock formed by cooling of silica-rich magma below the surface of the Earth. Granite is considered to be the average composition of the continental crust of the Earth.
Appears in modules:
- Defining Minerals Composition and crystal structure
- Earth Structure A virtual journey to the center of Earth
- Identifying Minerals Characterizing minerals' physical properties
- The Silicate Minerals The silica tetrahedron and Earth's most common minerals
- Utilizing the Scientific Literature The record of scientific progress